Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 11:23:00 +1100 (EST)
From:      Carl Makin <cmakin@nla.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   logon hangs.

I'm having a problem with logons, su's and xterm invocations hanging when
the nameserver goes away or loses it's internet link.

I have a home network where a FreeBSD 2.1.6.1 box running Darren Reed's
IPFilter package is acting as a gateway to the Internet for a bunch of
other machines. I run named on this gateway with different configurations
for the different ISPs I use, all invoked by a dial script.

My main FreeBSD box sits behind this gateway and points resolv.conf to it.
When the modem drops out or the gateway box is not powered on my main
FreeBSD box hangs for a while when logging in, invoking an xterm, or using
su.  It's obviously a nameserver timout problem but I'm buggered if I can
work out why the damn thing is querying the nameserver in the first place.

I changed the order in resolve.conf to hosts then bind and made sure ALL
hosts I use are in the hosts file but still no joy.

Even if the gateway box is up and the nameserver is running, if the modem
drops out I get the same hangs.

Does anyone know what is happening here?  Is there any way of fixing it?

Carl.

--
Carl Makin (VK1KCM)  <http://email.nla.gov.au/~cmakin/>;
C.Makin@nla.gov.au  'Work +61 6 262 1576'   "Speaking for myself only!"