Date:      Sat, 14 Jan 2006 17:18:02 +0000
From:      Michael Bowerman <michael.bowerman@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-database@freebsd.org
Subject:   MySQL and FreeBSD native threads

A while ago, I was planning to move my MySQL server over from Linux to
FreeBSD.  But, I was scared off by some blogs and the MySQL website
that said that FreeBSD threading had some problems dealing with high
loads, since some calls were not threadsafe.

So, my question is this: has FreeBSD threading improved since the 4.x
line?  It seems to me like a lot of work has gone into this area since
then.  But, I haven't been able to find any updated information on 5.x
and 6.x.

I'm trying to move completely to FreeBSD on my home network.  So, I'd
prefer to make the switch.

My server has a very small load and the data isn't exactly mission
critical (simple web stuff).  So, even with the threading problem, it
would probably still meet my needs.  But, it's mostly a matter of
worry free life cycle.  I don't like to spend a lot of time on
maintenance (or wondering if it's my code, or the server), except for
upgrades.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Mike