Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:15:51 -0500
From:      "Dejvid Zaninovic" <dzaninov@mediaondemand.com>
To:        <Andreas.Brodmann [andreas.brodmann@gmaare.migros.net]@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IP Address Overtaking

> On normal internetworking hosts, without the necessity of high
availability
> this works fine. Not all hosts do update or even flush their arp cache
with
> the same frequency though. Some have a cycle of less than one minute on
> routers on the other hand the default arp cache timeout is a lot higher
which
> would force clients not in the same subnet to wait until the router
flushes
> its arp cache until they can access your FreeBSD machine again.

Hosts will not wait for the arp cache to expire because FreeBSD is
broadcasting that mac address changed and all hosts must update their cache
info if they want to be compliant with arp protocol.   Check the arpspoof
tool from the dsniff software, it is doing the same thing.

> There is a way to solve this problem by having a second interface in each
cluster
> partner serving as standby interface. To this interface you assign the mac
of
> its partner's interface and all its interfaces ip addresses.

Yes, you could do that if you are using hosts which are not compliant with
arp protocol, but I don't plan to use such hosts, all unix boxes, routers
and windows are compliant, so I don't see the reason to complicate things
with the mac address changing, you rarely need this.

> Just a hint: Have a look at scyld.com and Donald Becker's new Linux driver
> architecture. Many new cards allow for using more than one mac per card
> even without going into promiscuous mode. They can then be assigned to
> different subinterfaces. I don't know wheter the FreeBSD drivers support
> this. Anyway we still keep to the old fashioned way mentionned above, as
the
> new Linux network driver architecture is not yet as stable as it could be,
but
> once it is this would solve your problem.

You would probably have to change driver to support this for each card you
plan to use.  Again, I don't see any reason to overtake mac address.