Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2012 08:58:41 -0800
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dropbox on FreeBSD

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 7:58 AM, Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 10:07:05AM -0500, Jerry wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 13:45:13 +0000
> > Chris Rees articulated:
> >
> > > It needs porting to kevent.
> > >
> > > Someone may do it for payment, some may do it for fun, but no-one
> > > will do it for you until you learn some manners.
> > >
> > > Or you could do it yourself.
> >
> > I have suggested several times that FreeBSD create a fund specifically
> > for the hiring of professional programmers to take care of these edge
> > problems.
>
> There is such a fund.  http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/
>
> -- Brooks

The above page and the other pages in
http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/
needs to be more improved .

For example :

In the page
http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/

there are the following links :

http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/announcements.shtml#fundraising
( FreeBSD Foundation's Year-End Fundraising Campaign!  )

http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/where.shtml
( Where does your contribution go?  )

No one of the above pages makes a complete list of requirements .

Mainly , donation only some money may NOT be an appropriate solution for a
possible
donor .

In page
http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/faqs.shtml

there is a question :
How Can I Donate Some Hardware?

>From this question , there is a link to the following page :
http://www.freebsd.org/donations/

In that page , there is the following link :

http://www.freebsd.org/donations/wantlist.html
( FreeBSD Developers Want List  )

( From this page , it is NOT possible whether the listed requirements are
still existent or not ,
when the dates are inspected . In that form , it may be considered very
unhelpful with the fact that actual ( new ) requirements are buried very
OLD dates . )

After considering the above pages , it is possible to make the following
suggestions :

When a person suggest or specify a new requirement , please do NOT push
him/her away with a smashing sentence : Evry one is NOT either a computer
engineer on ( operating system software or software engineering ) or a
competent software developer / porter . These may be just persons which are
trying to solve their problems with very likely possibility that they are
NOT able to solve their problems by themselves and telling their needs .

Design the following page to serve more informative manner :
http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/

Insert information about

http://www.freebsd.org/donations/wantlist.html
( FreeBSD Developers Want List  )

page ( with sorted with respect to ( date , or subject ) , and remove
unnecessary items )

Insert information about names of projects which requires human labour with
estimated costs
( including hardware ) to allow people to donate those projects by
specifying their name(s) either money or hardware .

Insert a form to get new project suggestions with promised possible
donations or requesting a cost estimate ( prepared with respect to a
donated amount specified on that form because to cover cost of required
human labour  ) to donate .
With that facility , people may seek to solve their problem(s) with
guaranteed outcome(s) .

I think the above features will improve this page .

Obviously , there may be a more useful design .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk