Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 07:53:51 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        David Marsh <drmarsh@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Me and FreeBSD [was: FreeBSD Newbies FAK]

On Sun, Jul 26, 1998 at 07:21:58PM +0100, David Marsh wrote:

> As for me and FreeBSD, well..
>
> I cheated and got a friend to do most of the installation grot, leaving me
> with a functional basic system, and X.
>
> I've installed a few ports (mostly successfully, not always, unfortunately),

Do you use ports or packages? I prefer packages myself, because there's
nothing about them I can change so they give the illusion that nothing
can go wrong :-) But the old-timers really get off on typing 'make'.

> set up a ppp connection using user-ppp (that was a bit of a struggle, but I
> did feel chuffed after eventually succeeding),
>
> tried (and failed) to get sendmail to generate valid mail headers (didn't
> have the time to keep hacking and switched to xfmail as a temporary
> alternative: but will have to sort it eventually),

I haven't tried xfmail, but I've seen some pretty cruddy stuff produced
by it. Did you have to tweak it much to make your emails look good?

> installed leafnode and trn to restore my news access (but something keeps
> stuffing *every* newsgroup into my 'interesting' list once a week :-( ),

Aaah, news... makes me reach for the cross and garlic. You can have it.

> and figured that my system is just about workable enough now that I can
> actually do things with it :-)
>
> Oh, and I got my printer working as well, which I was also quite chuffed
> with. The Handbook section was fairly easy to follow, although I was lucky
> in having an HP printer a la the examples ;-)

That's a big help. I bought the sound card I did because it was well
supported by FreeBSD. By the time I got into FreeBSD, my model had
become so old that hardly anyone has heard of them now :-(

> I'm hoping to use FreeBSD for the usual user-y kind of stuff: word
> processing (hence the need for StarOffice documentation), DtP (I'm perhaps
> hoping there),

Pssst! The GIMP is great for graphics. It's like photoshop, if you know
that one.

> the usual internet access, and also for website authoring and
> graphics work. I keep meaning to save up for my own domain and put my
> (at present, basic) Java and Perl skills into use.

Sounds good! Let us know when you get this going. It's great having
your own server to practise on, even if it has nobody to serve for a
while.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-