Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 2002 13:00:01 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        mattb <mattb@houston.rr.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CDE like login

On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 09:51:05PM -0500, mattb wrote:

> I have multiple solaris, hp-ux, openvms and bsd boxens and I was
> wondering if there was a CDE like login which would allow me to connect
> to my other machines X servers?  In solaris and HP-UX I can select which
> server I wish to connect to simply by choosing one from a drop down
> menu.  Thanks.

xdm(1) supports XDMCP logins to remote machines, but that
functionality is turned off in the default install.  Assuming you have
xdm(1) configured on your BSD boxes so you can get a local X session,
you need to modify some configuration files in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm:

    i) Xservers -- Take out any '-nolisten tcp' flags in this file ---
       you're going to be making a great deal of use of ports
       6000--6063.  This may or may not be a good thing, depending on
       your paranoia level, as that's a lot of snoopable, unencrypted
       traffic.

   ii) Xaccess -- this controls both which hosts are allowed to
       remotely log into this machine, and which machines will be
       listed as choices to log into.  Again, a sufficiently paranoid
       sysadmin will be getting twitchy here: it's very convenient to
       make the chooser broadcast for suitable machines on the
       network, but you'ld better be sure that doesn't include any
       undesireables.  Given that you're OK with that, simply
       uncomment the two lines like so:

        *                                #any host can get a login window

        *              CHOOSER BROADCAST #any indirect host can get a chooser

  iii) xdm-config -- comment out the last line to make xdm(1) listen
       for XDMCP or Chooser requests on UDP port 177:

        !DisplayManager.requestPort:     0

   iv) Xresources -- optionally, customize the look of the Chooser
       window, and other parts of the xdm login system.

Do a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to restart the X server, and away you go.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK