Date:      17 Apr 1995 15:48:01 +0200
From:      knarf@nasim.cube.net (Frank Bartels)
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: no cursor with FreeBSD 2.0 (CD) and Trident mono VGA

John Lind (john@starfire.mn.org) wrote:

> On an installation of FreeBSD 2.0 on a system with a Trident monochrome
> VGA adapter, there is no cursor when the cursor position is not the top
> line of the display.  This makes certain tasks, such as editing with
> "vi", a little more challenging than usual. :-)

I have a Trident tvga 9000 and there is no cursor with syscons, too.
I use pcvt and everything works fine.

I have an exotic MDA (NOKIA) here, and with syscons everyting after
nothing compared to a vi without a cursor. ;)

Again, pcvt works great on this MDA. All you have to do is building a
kernel with pcvt instead of syscons, copying the pcvt termcap to
/etc/termcap.small on the boot floppy. But sysinstall does not copy
/etc/termcap.small onto the hard disc, so the reboot will fail. If you
find a way to copy the file onto the hard disc (which is not that
easy at this time), the installation goes on...

My vote: Throw syscons away and make pcvt the standard display driver
for FreeBSD.

Bye,
Knarf
--
    Frank Bartels    |    UUCP/ZModem/Fax: + 49 89 5469593     | MiNT is
knarf@nasim.cube.net | Login: nuucp Index: /pub/ls-lR.nasim.gz | Now TOS!