Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 1997 15:13:37 +1100
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        Security Administrator <sadmin@roundtable.cif.rochester.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Security <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 2.1.7?

On Feb 02, 1997 at 04:01:08PM, Security Administrator wrote:
> Is there a date for the release of the sources for 2.1.7?

Soon, I think. However, since this started I set up cvsup on
client systems where security was critical and started tracking
it. I built what will be effectively 2.1.7 with the major
security patches within hours of their being committed to the
source tree.

So, it really doesn't require a "release" to obtain the
sources - just set up CVSUP and go.

> Once one retrieves the source, would be it sufficient to replace merely
> /usr/lib, /usr/libexec, /usr/sbin, /usr/bin, /sbin, and the kernel
> sources?  I would prefer to do a minimal re-install since that would
> require a messy back-up process.

unpack sources into /usr/src and type "make world".

This will replace all FreeBSD-related libraries and binaries on
system.

> Also, I suppose it is safe to recompile the libaries and binaries using
> gcc-2.7.2.1 or gcc-2.6.3 (cc), both of which are already on the system?

Yes.

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/