Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 95 17:13:43 EDT
From:      jleppek@suw2k.ess.harris.com (James Leppek)
To:        freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   runtime warnings

I am not sure if this is current or hackers topic but since I
run current...

This may have come up before but what is the purpose of
having runtime warnings for things like gets. Compile time warnings
I can understand, but runtime??? I give someone the latest gnuchess
and everytime they start it, up pops this warning about gets being
unsafe. To most folks that means "don't run this program, it's broken".

If this has been discussed before I guess I had forgotten the reason
and it once again strikes me as a "no win" warning.
If you have the sources and are compiling it, a compile time warning
would be fine, if you just have a binary you are stuck with the warning.

Jim Leppek