Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 1996 17:20:00 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Querying for grown defects?

> scsi(8) will let you send any command to the drive, so if you have
> the scsi II spec you can probably rig up the right incantation.
> I don't think you want to, though, since...

     That's what I thought.  I've got an MS Windows 3.1 program that
will query for grown defects, but I really don't want to install Windows
just to find the defects ....  I've got a DOS partition with adequate
disk space, but I really don't want to do this.  ;-)

> you can look at your mode pages to see if you have it on.  You want
> to look at mode page 1:

     Thanks, but I've already verified that AWRE and ARRE are set to "1"
(they weren't originally, but I did set them via the "-e -P 3" option)..
Just last night, I started to get occasional "media errors" (which is
what started all this), and I'm trying to figure out if the drive is:

* Dying.  ;-)

* Out of spare blocks.

* Getting more and more bad sectors.

* Just not sparing bad sectors (even though the mode page is set
  correctly -- buggy firmware?).  This is an old Fujitsu 2624FA drive,
  BTW.

* Acting as it always has.  I just upgraded to 2.1.0R last night, and
  the warnings started to appear soon after ....  Coincidence, or does
  2.1.0R output better SCSI warning messages?

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.