Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:14:22 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        David Xu <davidxu@freebsd.org>
Cc:        core@freeebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: away

--U3BNvdZEnlJXqmh+

On Thursday, 30 March 2006 at  7:30:34 +0800, David Xu wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I will go away today due to some unpleasant person attack to me, in
> the past,

I'm sorry to hear it.

> I have made lots of work in FreeBSD threading work, this includes
> kernel threading in earlier stage and thread libraries later, and
> gdb support for these new thread libraries from kernel to userland
> everywhere, spent lots of time to work in libpthread, and later make
> libthr to be best performance library for mysql and possible other
> applications developed on Linux and make it run on most platforms we
> current support.  because the work load was large, I admit I have
> made some coding mistakes which some people think it is serious
> while other don't think so, I don't think it is not fixable, time
> goes and things will be fixed, think about FreeBSD comes from a 4.x
> which is ignorant about true kernel based thread, changing to
> with recently 6.1, I still have fixed lots of thread suspension race
> which I think is obscure, of course, my work does not stop on
> threading, recent, I also have added signal queue, POSIX message
> queue and timer, made AIO MP-safe, these are all work-in-progress,
> but I am sorry, the attack made to me is very harmful, I feel I can
> not recover from such disaster, working on FreeBSD is no longer fun.

David, I'm sure I'm not the only one who greatly admires the work you
have done.  The fact that you're resigning seems nothing short of a
disaster.  Is there any way we can convince you to change your mind?

Core, you'll recall that this is one of my recurrent concerns.  If we
(you) don't do more to encourage harmony in the project, it will fail.

And yes, I already have my asbestos-substitute underwear on waiting
for people to say "what are you talking about?  We're already doing
things".

Greg

--U3BNvdZEnlJXqmh+

--U3BNvdZEnlJXqmh+--