Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 04:08:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Khanh N." <ubs01271@email.sjsu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installation via PLIP problem(s)

Hi all,

i'm having a problem trying to have lp0 configured so that i could install
3.1R onto my laptop from my 3.1R desktop via PLIP.  i searched the lists
but could not find any reported problems similar to mine.

Here are the steps i did:  on the desktop, as instructed in the
installation readme file> ifconfig lp0 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2,
then created an anonymous ftp account, then mounted the cdrom.  On the
laptop, at the Media selection in sysinstall, i chose FTP | URL |
ftp://10.0.0.1 then configured lp0 with hostname, gateway, ip 10.0.0.2.
Once i hit OK, it tells me that lp0 could not be configured (sorry, forgot
to write down the exact message).

In the debug screen it gives me "DEBUG: ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR):
destination address required".

i even tried with bringing up a "fix-it shell" and did "ifconfig lp0
10.0.0.2 10.0.0.1", with and without "route add default 10.0.0.1" on
different tries, but no luck.

Any ideas?  thnx