Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 13:55:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        mikea@mikea.ath.cx
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Burncd errors...

In local.freebsd.stable you write:

>On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 07:51:37PM -0800, Mikko Tyolajarvi wrote:

[...]

>> >acd0: CD-RW <LG CD-RW CED-8080B> at ata1-master using PIO4
>>
>> Not that it is any help to you, but I have the same problem (data
>> burns ok, audio does not) with an 8083B.  And apparently we're not
>> alone: <http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=27893>.
>>
>> My solution?  I bought a Plextor.

>When I had this problem, I found that it was fixed by a
>cvsup/buildworld/installworld/newkernel cycle -- in the correct
>order.

Having kernel and userlang out-of-sync is a sure way to get all sorts
of problems  :-)

>I was using a Sony CRX-140S SCSI burner at the time, and still
>am. Works fine now.

I'm pretty certain this is an atapi-secific problem (or rather an LG
specific one).  I'm perfectly ok with declaring the LG burner "crap"
since almost everything else in that machine is (I should know better
than to buy "brand name" computers, and now I definitely know to stay
well clear of HP.

  $.02,
  /Mikko
--