Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:28:23 +0200
From:      Kenneth Vestergaard Schmidt <kvs@binarysolutions.dk>
To:        "Moore, Eric Dean" <Emoore@lsil.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IBM x335 onboard LSI 1020 (mpt) poor performance

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 06:33:56PM -0400, Moore, Eric Dean wrote:
> I was thinking scsi bus analyzer.

If that's a hardware device, I haven't got one, unfortunately.

> The mpt driver would need to issue SCSI-SPI
> Device Page 0 and 1 to set the negotiated parmeters
> for each of the hidden physical drive in
> the raid volume.  Bios is handling off to
> the driver in asyn narrow speeds, so the
> driver needs to send these config pages.
>
> I'm working on the mpt Linux driver, however Matthew
> Jacob would know best about what config page updates
> are occuring in this bsd driver.

It seems Matthew Jacob is tied up with other things than FreeBSD presently,
so I'm not sure if he's able to help.

I'm assuming the Linux driver detects the hidden drives and sends the above-
mentioned SCSI-commands. Knowing next to nothing about the kernel, I'm not
quite sure I'll be able to make the required changes to the driver source
myself, but I'm willing to try.

Is Domain Validation needed to do this? It isn't enabled in the current FreeBSD
driver as I understand it. Also, could you point to where in the Linux-driver
the hidden-disk-parameters are negotiated?

--
Best Regards
Kenneth Schmidt