Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 2004 00:18:08 +0100 (CET)
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@gaff.hhhr.ision.net>
To:        Melvyn Sopacua <freebsd-hardware@webteckies.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendation for Dual-CPU systems

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Melvyn Sopacua wrote:

> We're looking for systems in the Netherlands, price range 1500 - 2500 euro's,
> 1 or 2u 19" rackmount systems.
>
> We've also informed with Dell, but they won't support FreeBSD, so my question
> is twofold:
> 1) I still see a lot of people on the lists working with Dell machines, so how
> do they work around the "no support" issue? Is this really an issue when a
> disk crashes or some other hardware component?
> 2) Does anybody know of a hardware supplier that DOES support FreeBSD,
> preferably operating in The Netherlands.

Hi!

Well, I had to do with some Dell's with Suse, which is also not really
supported by Dell.

Well, as far as you can tell the support guy, that it is really a
hardware issue, that you have really verified, and that you won't
install a windows prog to gather some data, it may work.

Otherwise Dell may insist, that you use some stuff from the extra
service partition on your RAID5 setup, and without they won't support
you, as far as rumours from some colleagues spread...

I personally prefer the Sun V60x and 65x, nice relabelled Intel boxes,
with quality support.

Or Supermicro, which are mostly handled by barebone-builders.

Just my 0.02 EUR
Olaf
--
Olaf Hoyer        ohoyer@gaff.hhhr.ision.net
Fuerchterliche Erlebniss geben zu raten,