Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 16:17:04 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jack Winslade <jsw@cywub.sitel.net>
To:        M.S.Powell@ais.salford.ac.uk (Mark Powell)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.1-R nightly panic on news server whilst running expire.

> Recently installed 3.1-R on an Apricot Shogun server. Some sort of
> biggish Intel Motherboard with a single Pentium 133MHz on a single
> CPU board.
>   The machine is setup as a news server running inn-2.2. I've got our
> current news server feeding this box as a test. Ran fine for a few days,
> but now panics everynight, during expire, judging by the time. I'm no
> expert with working out why it's dumping so would appreciate some help.
>   The hardware previously ran for a couple of years with NT 3.51 with no
> apparent problems. This is (was?) to be our first production FreeBSD
> box if the test went well.. We plan to move all operations over to
> FBSD; news, qmail, web cache, etc., but management aren't impressed
> by this sort of thing :(

We run a news server using FBSD 2.{mumble} and INN 2.{whatever} and I've
noticed two peculiarities.

1. The innwatch (started with innd) frequently core dumps.  We usually
run with it disabled.

2. About once a week on average (high variance), the box will
spontaneously reboot.  It sometimes happens during the daily processing
which runs late evening, but I've seen it in the morning as well.  We'll
be moving this to a larger capacity box RSN, with 3.x and the latest INN,
so if it keeps recurring then, I may troubleshoot more.  Right now it's
kind of a minor annoyance.

Good day       JSW