Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 1996 13:01:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com
Subject:   Re: Buslogic controller, Sync mode & a SCSI disk error

> > 2) Because generally I am more interested in a utility to do verification
> >    and bad block remapping.
>
> The FORMAT UNIT command does this, inside the drive.  At least, that's
> my experience.

...and takes the rest of the good blocks with it  :-(  ( ;-) )

> One of my old (now retired due to lack of space)
> Seacrate drives experienced excess bad sectors once, so i backed up,
> reformatted, and restored the filesystems.  It never got any reported
> bad block again, and it went on for more than a year afterwards until
> i had to replace it by a larger one recently.

Yes, I know.  I've actually got a Quantum ProDrive LPS105S here that
was dropped _while_ running (about two feet) and it ended up with 122
defects after gentle combinations of scanning and low level formatting.

It has been in service for a lot more than a year and has been 1000%
reliable.

> > Any ideas on a verification/bad block remapper utility?  Would it be
> > hard to do?
>
> On-the-fly verification (non-desctructive, as Rod suggested) is much
> harder to do.  There's no SCSI command for it, you gotta visit each
> block on the drive, and remap it manually.

Yes, I know, I've seen someone else's implementation.  Nice... too bad
it can't help us any.  :-(

... JG