Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 18:24:05 -0500
From:      Douglas Swarin <doug@staff.texas.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        kkemp@nwcr.net
Subject:   Re: Frustration with SCSI system

Ideally, I would use one of the IDE flash-based drives on the market. One
brand is SanDisk, and they take a standard IDE connector and fit into a
3.5" drive bay. You can get them very reasonably priced up to 128MB or
so, which is just fine for a boot partition. Since flash drives have no
moving parts, mechanical failure is not an issue, and since the root
partition is not written to much, the flash will not wear out for a
long time (flash cells wear out after about 100,000 writes; the flash
drives do load balancing and stuff to ensure that the (many) cells in
the drive are written to evenly).

Doug