Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 1995 12:20:45 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, hsu@cs.hut.fi, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ISP state their FreeBSD concerns

>> >Sequencer code written in the face of manufacturer opposition simply
>> >does not give me the warm fuzzies (no slight on the Adaptec driver
>> >intended -- though if you want to view it as a slight on Adaptec, feel
>> >free to do so 8-)).
>>
>>    Adaptec does not oppose us providing our own sequencer code.
>
>No, they oppose us.  Or we could use their sequencer code and (potentially)
>not have problems like this.

No, they oppose their competitors.  Adaptec's sequencer code works around
deficiencies with hundreds of periferals.  That information has been
gleaned from more than a decade of experience.  If you were in Adaptec's
position, would you make it publicly availible so that your competitors
can become "as compatible" as you are?  There has been some talk of
releaseing a "stripped down" verison of the sequencer code for "free"
development, but they don't have the developer hours to produce it yet.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations