Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2012 18:32:19 -0400
From:      Justin Hibbits <chmeeedalf@gmail.com>
To:        Super Bisquit <superbisquit@gmail.com>
Cc:        Samuel V Green III <macunkie@gmail.com>, FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Xorg 7.5.2 on powerpc 9.0 Stable ?

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 19:45:36 -0400
Super Bisquit <superbisquit@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Justin Hibbits
> <jrh29@alumni.cwru.edu> wrote:
> > -CURRENT is the development version (not released, only compile from
> > source), so newer than 9.0. =C2=A0Normal users, especially new users,
> > should stick with the releases.
> >
> > You may want to ask on freebsd-x11 mailing list for help with the
> > Xorg port.
> >
> > - Justin
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Samuel V Green III
> > <macunkie@gmail.com>wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks Justin,
> >>
> >> As a "newbie" =C2=A0can you help me understand what "-CURRENT" means ?
> >> After my fresh install of 9.0 stable, =C2=A0I ran
> >> portsnap fetch
> >> portsnap extract
> >> portsnap update
> >> Which updated to xorg 7.5.2 where I had build errors.
> >> Is "-CURRENT a powerpc version of FreeBSD" =C2=A0that is available that
> >> I should be installing as a base system rather than 9.0 stable ?
> >>
> >> Thanks again for your help !
> >>
> >> Samuel.
> >>

> >> On Jun 15, 2012, at 7:15 AM, Justin Hibbits wrote:

> >> I have Xorg 7.5.2 installed on my G4, working just fine. =C2=A0However,
> >> this is -CURRENT, but it shouldn't be too dissimilar from 9.0 in
> >> that regard. =C2=A0I haven't tried building gnome, though.
> >>
> >> - Justin

>=20
> Justin,
> What Samuel may need to do is install from 9.0 and upgrade the source
> to CURRENT for building world and KERNEL.
>=20
> Samuel,
>=20
> Xorg should be built with only what you need on POWER(PC) machines.
> The meta port of Xorg will break due to a few drivers being i386/amd64
> only. Take a look at dmesg for the card vendor. On the forums there
> exists the how to thread for installing to a G3; however, the
> references to Xorg apply to all Power machines.

Super-

A novice user should _never_ run -CURRENT, as it's not guaranteed to be
stable, or even compile, at any given time.  That's not to say nobody
should use -CURRENT, because of course we want people to use it to find
bugs, but new users should stick with releases until they're
comfortable enough with FreeBSD to move on.

- Justin