Date:      Sat, 17 Jun 2017 08:41:19 -0700
From:      Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with pkg, svnlite and svn on both 12.0 BBB snapshots of June 2017

"Dr. Rolf Jansen" <rj@obsigna.com> writes:

> I subsequently deployed the June snapshots of FreeBSD 12.0 on my
> Beaglebone Black, and in both cases I experience problems with pkg,
> svnlite and with svn from the ports.
>
> # pkg -v
> --> Shared object "libarchive.so.6" not found, required by "pkg"
>
> I can get pkg working, after I do:
> # ln -s /usr/lib/libarchive.so.7 /usr/lib/libarchive.so.6
>
> Any flavor of subversion is completely unusable now, I see various errors in different situations:
>
> One of either:
>    svn: E175003: Attempt to fetch capability 'depth' resulted in 'no'
>
> or:
>    svn: E000022: Error converting entry in directory '/root/install/my_tiny_project' to UTF-8
>    svn: E000022: Valid UTF-8 data
>    (hex: 18 10)
>    followed by invalid UTF-8 sequence
>    (hex: e5 20 18 30)
>
> The working directories are not damaged, because I observe normal svn
> operation on the very same ones, when I open those with svn on a 12.0
> snapshot from May 2017.
>
> Anyway, before I submit a burg report, I would like to ask whether I
> am the only one, experiencing those problems, or if others see these
> as well. May this be related to a broken SD card?
>
> Please can someone confirm that pkg and svnlite are working (or even
> not) on the out-of-the-box snapshot
> FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT-arm-armv6-BEAGLEBONE-20170612-r319859.

I don't know if you are aware, but 12.0-CURRENT switched to 64-bit
inodes in late May, so some of the shared library numbers were
incremented.  I also had the same problem with pkg, but found that
pkg-static would still work. I fixed that by building pkg from ports.  I
just checked the FreeBSD package repository for 12.0 armv6 and it still
shows a May 28 date, so it still hasn't been updated.  I don't know
about svn, but I would expect svnlite in the base system to work if it
is just the 64 bit inodes.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org