Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 10:03:38 -0700
From:      "Juan Lorenzana" <lorenzaj@agcs.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        marquis@roble.com
Subject:   Problem with Adaptec scsi card

Team,

I have an urgent problem. We have built a telephony product that uses a RAID. We
are running a Pentium II 450 Mhz machine running FreeBSD 2.2.8.  We purchased a
middleware from a Swedish company and they only support 2.2.8.  Their roadmap
includes a port to Solaris and the 3.0 branch of FreeBSD but is not available at
this time.

We have an onboard SCSI controller which we use to talk to the local disk.  We
have installed two Adaptec 2940U2W as well.  One that talks directly to the RAID
and another that talks to a tape device.  When we run in this configuration, we
get the following error:

/kernel: (sa1:ahc1:0:3:0):scb 0x2F timed out in dataout phase, scsisigi == 0x4

This only happens during high traffic situation, like when we do our daily
backups.  I have searched the newsgroups and have not found any insight as to
what might be the problem and it's resolution.  We had to install the CAM
drivers in order to support the Adaptec 2940U2W card.  I only found one other
instance of this problem, but no one had responded.

Anyway, I am in a cruch because our System Test department never tested the
hardware configuration, just the software.  We just sold the product and they
found the problem during manufucturing and testing before shipping to the
customer.  Any help anyone can provide is appreciated.

If anyone can consult on this issue, please let me know.

Regards,

Juan Lorenzana
AG Communication Systems
Product Manager