Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 11:45:43 -0500
From:      James <mlistbsd@icorp.net>
To:        void@humankind.com
Subject:   Compaq SmartRAID compatibility issues?

I'm still having problems getting this Proliant 3000R with the Compaq
2DH controller to work properly - I've seen some historical messages
indicating people have gotten 3.3 to work incorporating a non-bundled
IDA driver; I've also heard that this driver is now integrated in with
FreeBSD in the later versions.  I'm still running into the following
issues:

* Booting/installing FreeBSD <4.0 does not recognize the drive array
* FBSD 4.0 does recognize the array but either:
   a) crashes with a "makedev returns non-zero" during install
   b) won't reboot - saying kernel not found
   c) crashes during post-install config with all forks causing core
dumps

I can pull out the raid array and reconfigure the disks on Compaq's
on-board scsi and it installs and runs perfectly, so I know it's an
issue with the raid card.

I'm trying to install the os straight to the raid5 array - I really do
not want to have to dedicate a non-raid drive just to work around a bug
in the OS.  Does anyone have any ideas?