Date:      Thu, 05 Dec 1996 18:06:50 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Thomas Pfenning <thomaspf@microsoft.com>
Cc:        "'Chris Csanady'" <ccsanady@friley216.res.iastate.edu>, "'Peter Wemm'" <peter@spinner.dialix.com>, "'smp@freebsd.org'" <smp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: make locking more generic?

> Hmm,
>
> but xchgb actually writes a new value into the cache line on each spin
> and dirties the cache line? So you are saying, the cache coherence
> protocol is smart enough to recognize it is the same value and does not
> actually require an update of the cache in a remote CPU spinning on the
> same lock. Or is it the xchgb instruction which does not write an 0xff
> if it is already there?

oh-oh, I didn't read close enough (alot of mail has backed up lately).
forget what I said...

cache, I couldn't say, it might have a bad effect but what can you do
about it? a blocking lock as oppossed to a spin-lock?  I think the theory is
that the collissions are statistically so short that anything more complex
would be a loosing situation.

----
> The other thing I don't quite understand is the use of an atomic memory
> operation for the unlock.

the atomic move may or may not be necessary.  since its a byte there is
no chance a misaligned lock being written in 2 bus operations.  anyone know?

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD