Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 2020 00:30:41 +0100
From:      Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   12.2-STABLE: Something has broken the bash prompt

I updated my 12.2-STABLE system from circa December 10 to the last
stable/12 SVN commit and now my bash prompt is broken.

I use a prompt with properly delineated non-printing characters:

PS1="\[$(tput so)\]\u@\h\[$(tput se)\][\w] "

Suddenly bash is very confused about the size of the prompt.  To
reproduce the problem, set PS1 as above, type a few characters, hit
^A to go to the beginning of the line, type some more, see the mess.

A prompt without non-printing characters is perfectly fine.
The problem is evident with LC_CTYPE=C.UTF-8, but LC_CTYPE=C is
fine.

Yes, there have been recent updates to the bash port.  But I checked
several versions, and 5.0.18, 5.1, and 5.1.4 are equally affected.
And I was already running 5.1 before the problem appeared after I
updated base.

So I have reason to suspect that the breakage originates in base.
I've looked over the stable/12 commits starting December 10 and I
am very suspicious of yuripv's locale changes, in particular
"update wcwidth data from utf8proc" looks like a potential culprit.

Any insights?