Date:      Mon, 7 Jul 1997 16:39:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Mitchell <brian@firehouse.net>
To:        Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security Model/Target for FreeBSD or 4.4?

On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Robert Watson wrote:

> On a related note, has anyone given any thought to making chroot() a
> user-accessible call?  I haven't really looked at it, so am not sure why
> it can only be called by uid root programs.  In terms of sandboxing (which
> seems to be popular these days for various applications), it would be nice
> to restrict programs to specific regions of the disk, etc.  Especially if
> you are a non-root user developing programs that require special
> libraries, etc.  Or if you want to run a restricted web or ftp server, but
> don't have root access (as hopefully would be the case with the lighter
> restrictions on binding ports <1024.)

picture this, /usr/home is the same fs as /usr/bin - you create a
reasonable tree with its own passwd file, you populate your usr/bin with
hardlinks, you chroot and run su

su will read your passwd file, giving you root. you create a setuid shell
or something similar and then log out of the shell and go back to the
nonchrooted environment and run the suid root shell.

Brian Mitchell                           brian@firehouse.net
"BSD code sucks. Of course, everything else sucks far more."
- Theo de Raadt