Date:      Mon, 08 Apr 2002 20:32:50 +0200
From:      "Rogier R. Mulhuijzen" <drwilco@drwilco.net>
To:        mgt@hytekblue.com, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPsec tunnel mode

At 13:07 8-4-2002 -0500, Matthew wrote:

>check out this link... they were a great deal of help to me when i went
>to setup  ipsec on freebsd...
>
>    Best wishes
>      Hytekblue
>
>http://www.x-itec.de/projects/tuts/ipsec-howto.txt

Unfortunately this howto, like any other mention of IPsec & tunneling on
the net uses the gif interface. Which is IPoverIP, and this does not seem
to match with  IPsec tunnel devices.

I quote the gif(4) manpage:

"For example, you cannot usually use gif to talk with IPsec devices that
use IPsec tunnel mode."

The problem is I have to make a FreeBSD box at work talk with a Firebox
IPsec machine. I have set the machine up to use racoon & gif. Key exchange
goes fine, but when we try to ping eachother the packets go over the wire
and arrive at the other machine but neither side seems to want to receive them.

Any ideas?

         Doc