Date:      Sat, 20 Nov 1999 20:09:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        chad@DCFinc.com, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Toshiba laptop lawsuit

> Does anyone on this list have more information?  Is the fault on the
> laptop real?  Who developed the FreeBSD patch, and what does it do?
> Is it open source?
>
> 	-crl

 The "problem" is real; and exists on just about all Toshiba
 laptops.

 In a nutshell:

   o) According to an article in Var Business magazine, Toshiba purchased
      a FDC design from Nec many years ago - incorporating the controller into
      other components.

   o) Shortly after the incorporation of the FDC, Nec discovered that
      the floppy drive can have a one-byte failure under certain rare
      circumstances.

   o) The Nec controller was corrected and Toshiba was notified.

   o) However, in Toshiba's testing, the error never occurred.
      Toshiba did not alter their controller.

   o) The lawsuit was settled out of court.

   o) Toshiba notes that an error has never been reported, and it
      would be quite unlikely; but wanted to settle to avoid the
      potential of a large payment should the suit go to a jury
      trial.

 As I understand it, notebooks made after mid-november now have the
 correction.

	- Dave Rivers -