Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 1995 14:11:51 +0059 (MET)
From:      Andreas Schulz <ats@g386bsd.first.gmd.de>
To:        gyrfalc@io.org (Bruce Hearns)
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@freefall.cdrom.com, pgarigue@io.org
Subject:   Re: Getting started, once the system is running.

> 1) How do I get my modem to work? The boot sequence recognizes that there
> is a serial IO device on COM2 at the right address, why can't I access it?

Add a line to the file /etc/remote:
modem2:dv=/dev/cua01:br#57600:pa=none

Add a line or uncomment the line in /etc/rc.serial:
modem 1

Reboot, and then try a "tip modem2" and see if you see the lights on the
modem, if it is an external, and if the modem responds to "ati" commands.
You may need to use a different baud rate above instead of the 57600.
Read the manual pages for "tip" "remote" and "sio" for some of the
important things :-).

> 2) Why, when I boot the system, do I keep getting errors
> related to a network, when I'm using a standalone machine?

Difficult to answer whats wrong here. Look at the beginning of
/etc/netstart and change the lines to not start up the network daemons.

> 3) Am I going to have to write my own terminal program, to get
> a SL/IP connection going?

No, you can use either tip or kermit or seyon with x-windows to set up
the SL/IP connection. Also chat and slattach are another possibility.

> 5) I understand about the man pages. Why, for example, is there a man page
> for "]", but the command: "man ]" produces a vehement denial
> that such a page exists?

You mean the "[" man page :-). Difficult to explain. You are typing
that in a shell and the "[' is already special to the shell, so you need
to escape it with a "\[", but the man command also calls somewhere internally
a shell, so you need to type really a "man \\[" to get the man page :-).

> 6) How do I access my floppy drives? There seems to be tons of devices in
> the /dev directory which seem to refer to my floppy drive, why can't I
> change to it and read a floppy disk?

What is on the floppy, if you want to read a DOS floppy, you need
to get the mtools utilities or use the mount -t msdos command to
read it. For mtools, like the mdir command, you can use normally "mdir a:".
To mount a DOS-floppy it is "mount -r -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt". Then
you can do a "cd /mnt" and ls or cp or something like that,

	  ATS ( ats@first.gmd.de or ats@cs.tu-berlin.de )

Andreas Schulz  GMD-FIRST     12489  Berlin-Adlershof  Rudower Chaussee 5
Gebaeude 13.7   Tel: +49-30-6392-1856/+49-177-2134745    Germany/Europe