Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 2002 22:13:59 -0400
From:      Brian Jackson <b.k.jackson@verizon.net>
To:        Michael Sharp <mds@ec.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qmail / pop3d startup

There is an excellent tutorial here -->
http://matt.simerson.net/computing/qmail.toaster.shtml which addresses
most of your concerns (and is written for a FreeBSD environment).  It
also adds in a few patches necessary for MySQL support, and some other
nifty things.

The error message you are getting might be from not having the correct
permissions on the /var/qmail/control directory.  That directory should
have files named defaultdelivery, defaultdomain, locals, me, plusdomain,
rcpthosts, and if you've followed "Life with qmail" also
concurrencyincoming.  They should all be owned by root, with group
qmail, and permissions 644 (-rw-r--r--).

As far as Sqwebmail not authenticating, make sure that authentication
daemon is setup correctly and running.

I've never installed qmail from ports, but usually grab the source from
http://cr.yp.to - you might want to go there, grab the source and read
the install docs (there are a few of them).

Post if you continue having problems.

Brian

--
b.k.jackson@verizon.net