Date:      Tue, 8 Apr 1997 10:06:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Random Junk <jsd@gamespot.com>
To:        randyk@ccsales.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS Mounting Question

Randy Katz writes:
> I have machines www1, www2, & www3. IP Addresses 206.5.38.5, 206.5.38.6
> & 206.5.38.7
>
> Machine www1 has a tape drive and www2 & www3 don't.
>
> I want to mount, read-only from www1 all filesystems on all the machines
> (www2 & www3) and be able to back them up.

don't do it that way.  here's what i've done:

1. install ssh on all the machines
2. create an account in the operator group called "taper" or something
like that and make sure ssh can log in as that user without needing a
password (assuming you want to put all this in a script or cron job)
3. from the machine with the tape drive, use ssh to go to the other
machines and get their data for dumping.  the command looks something
like this:

    ssh -l taper remotehost /sbin/dump 0af - /filesystem | dd of=/dev/tape

the advantages to this method are:
- ssh is encrypted, so your filesystem data is secure even if it's flowing
  across the internet.
- ssh can also do compression (use the -C flag), which is handy for slow links
- you can keep track of the backup schedule on one central machine

--
Jon Drukman / jsd@gamespot.com / SpotMedia Communications