Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 1999 21:48:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        J McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux convert...

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, J McKitrick wrote:

> Will it be difficult to upgrade to 4.0?  I just got 3.2, and i am leery of
> updating to 3.3 and breaking my system (even though it has features i
> could use) since i've seen some problems on the questions list.  Won't 4.0
> be even more likely to do that?

There will certaintly be issues, there always are.  On the other hand I
survived going to source upgrade route from 2.2.8 to 3.1 with minimal
problems by reading the lists carefully before hand.  That upgrade
replaced the entire aout userland and kernel with an ELF userland and
kernel and upgraded the bootloader, certaintly nothing to sneeze at.  As
to the move form 3.2 to 3.3, I wouldn't worry, I've been happily tracking
stable on my router since 2.2.8 and on my laptop since 3.1 with no real
problems.  Heck, my laptop runs way better under FreeBSD then under
windows.  Once Warner Losh gets PCCard support working under newbus and
current has a quiet moment, I plan run current and try my hand as some
kernel hacking.  As Alfred mentioned, it looks like 4.0 is going to kick
some serious ass.

-- Brooks