Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:49:22 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        fcash@sd73.bc.ca
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for holes in the docs to fill in

Freddie Cash wrote:
> On June 13, 2003 06:26 am, Bill Moran wrote:
>
>>Ceri Davies wrote:

>>Most ports these days install a sample script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
>>(although this doesn't seem to be 100% consistent)  The
>>apache.sh.sample must be renamed before it'll do anything at boot.
>
>>If you're new to FreeBSD, this can be annoying and the documentation
>>on how to handle this doesn't seem to jump out from anywhere.  The
>>ports section of the handbook doesn't mention it.  I've got an update
>>to the handbook I'm going to submit some time today that I think will
>>improve this.  I've heard of lots of people putting 'apachectl start'
>>in their rc.conf file because they couldn't figure out the proper way
>>to do this.
>
> While it is not documented anywhere in the ports sections, it is
> documented in the man page for rc(8), which describes the bootup
> sequence.  It might be a better idea to include a pointer to this man
> page than to re-write it in ports section of the Handbook.

The patch I submitted refers the reader to the section of the handbook
that explains this.  It's not that the documentation is missing, it's
just that it's not in the place that some look for it.  A simple "This
is handled by x, see y" will improve the situation, I feel.

Although I think my pr was rejected as spam ... I probably have to set
smarthost for sendmail to get it to go through ... grrrr ...

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies