Date:      Thu, 15 Dec 2016 15:16:04 +0100
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
Cc:        Freebsd Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: (In)Stability of the Quarterly Branch

Torsten Zuehlsdorff wrote on 2016/12/15 14:43:

>> The problem is that there are no tests in FreeBSD ports. All source
>> based systems I've tested: pkgsrc, FreeBSD ports, OpenBSD, Gentoo;
>> FreeBSD is the one that have the most instability. Not to mention
>> committers that commit without testing the port, just look at
>> www/redmine to get your point of view on that issue.
>
> www/redmine is a special case like for example GitLab. This are ports
> based on rubygems and the ports-tree has a hard time to replicate the
> gems. When one port need an update for a specific gem another can break.
>
> Other systems avoid the problem by ignoring it. You need to install and
> maintain all gems by yourself. This includes updates, security checks
> and of course installation of dependencies.

First - I really appreciate your work on ports!

And now Redmine - I think I was bitten by every Redmine failure after
upgrade :)

I wonder if the solution for ports like Redmine can be some kind of
isolation. Python have virtualenv, AFAIK Ruby has something like this
too. Will it be possible to connect ports (packages) with some type of
"environment" defined just for "this package"?

Miroslav Lachmanh