Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 1999 16:47:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lesstiff not installed as a dependency

Hi,

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Mark Ovens wrote:

> The xmcd port requires lesstiff and, since I don't have it installed,
> gives this message:
>
> marder-1# cd /usr/ports/audio/xmcd marder-1# make ===> xmcd-2.5
> requires Motif. LessTif is an LGPL implementation of the Motif API. A
> port is available in ports/x11-toolkits/lesstif. Please see
> /etc/make.conf.

That's because it requires Motif.  Lesstif, while getting better, doesn't
always make all of the application's functions work right (for instance I
used to have trouble w/ xmcd if I tried to manually enter playlist
information for a CD).  I've since taken to installing the binary package
for any Motif required apps.

> The only guess I can make is that if lesstiff were installed as a
> dependency then xmcd still wouldn't build as make(1) would assume that
> MOTIF wasn't installed.

That's correct.  Motif isn't free, lesstif is and there's no easy way for
the ports mechanism to determine whether you have Motif or lesstif so...
You can also build/install the port by doing:

	make HAVE_MOTIF=yes install clean

I'm sure Satoshi has better reasons than those I've said here.

Brett
Dr. Brett Taylor         brett@peloton.runet.edu    *
Dept of Chem and Physics			    *
Curie 39A	(540) 831-6147                      *
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics		    *
Walker 234	(540) 831-5410			    *