Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 2002 16:06:08 +0000
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ugrade from linux-jdk to native

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 05:01:43PM +0100, Koster, K.J. wrote:
| Hello Jonathon,
|

| > Hotspot seems great, and will help the perfomance issue for sure.  But
| > isn't there an ongoing debate about look-and-feel, and the AWT vs the
| > SWT?
| >
| SWT? If you mean Swing; use Swing, not AWT. It's much better.
|
| What look 'n feel issues are you referring to?

I was reading javaworld recently (IIRC) and apparently there are issues
with Swing looking so different from native platform GUIs.  So, there
is another toolkit, SWT, or Standard (Window|Widget) Toolkit.  IIUC, it
is supposed to offer the power and flexibility of Swing with the look
and feel of the native application, even using JNI where possible to
do so.  I'm just repeating what I read, so maybe I need to do some more
digging.  But I'm under the impression that some developers don't like
the look and feel of Swing, and apparently the LookAndFeel API isn't
enough to fix it.  Let me see what I can dig up.