Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2000 14:38:51 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>, Marco van de Voort <marcov@stack.nl>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unicode on FreeBSD

At 5:30 PM -0400 4/5/00, Anatoly Vorobey wrote:
>Marco van de Voort, wrote on Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 02:10:35PM +0100:
> >
> > I'm sorry that I maybe missed part of the thread, but what parts
> > that of UNICODE support are we thinking of?
>
>I have suggested adding Unicode support in the keyboard driver and the
>vga driver (more precisely, vga and syscons). As a result of such changes:

           [...assorted good things happen...]

>I am willing to do this work, have a good understanding of
>the issues involved, etc. However I am neither a committer nor a
>member of -core. If -core thinks this whole thing is a Bad Idea,
>my changes won't get reviewed and/or committed, and I don't want to
>do a lot of work to find out later it won't get into FreeBSD. This
>is why I've asked for an endorsement from the People Who Decide
>Things: not a guarantee, of course, that whatever I do will be
>welcomed, but rather an acknowledgement that this is a Worthy Issue
>and if my diffs are working well and answer the needed criteria,
>they will be reviewed and committed.

I am not a core member, and I can't guarantee what reaction you
will get after making such changes.  However, I can say that I
think the changes would be a good thing, and that if you had the
changes made then I think there are several people who would be
happy to campaign for their inclusion.  (Mind you, the actual
implementation might have to change a little as part of that
campaign, but there are people who would be interested in seeing
this).

I doubt anyone would guarantee that your changes would be accepted,
but I also doubt that anyone on the core would guarantee to REJECT
them just because some people have straw-man problems with unicode.

By all means, please see what you can do.  It is much easier to
debate a specific set of changes than to get into philosophical
discussions about the metaphysical desirability of all possible
[and not-implemented] solutions to some wider issue.

Coordinate your changes with whoever generally works on the console
or keyboard support, just so you're not working on a major set of
changes at the same time they're working on some unrelated major
set of changes.  Ignore the raging philosophical debate for now.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute