Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 1995 07:54:26 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matt Rosenberg <mar7@cec.wustl.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple Adaptec 2742W's

>Apparently 2.0.5 is not compatable with more than 1 Adaptec
>2742W.  I can add the second device line in the kernel
>configuration, and it will probe the bus for the second adaptor
>correctly (it probes both correctly).  However, the kernel will
>continue to probe the remaining devices and at the end of the
>probing phase, right before the swap is turned on and the file
>systems mounted, the system locks up.  I've tried different
>IRQ's for the two adaptors.  I've also tried the same IRQ with
>the conflicts keyword added in the second device line.  Same
>results - the adaptor and its bus are probed correctly but the
>system locks up before the file systems are mounted.  Each
>adaptor has exactly one Seagate 43401N (Elite 3) drive.  The
>first drive is assigned sd0 according to the messages and the
>second drive sd1, just as would be expected.

Are you sure that the BIOS for the second card is disabled or
in a region that doesn't conflict with any other card in your
system.  I've seen the same sort of symptom when the BIOS region
overlapped an ethernet cards shared mem location.  The IRQs must
not be shared for EISA versions of this card (I know you've tried this).
What IRQs are you using?  Are you sure that nothing else is using
those IRQs?

>BTW, although the Seagate 43401N _is_ a wide SCSI device if the
>2742W is configured to "initiate wide negotiation" for the
>43401N, FreeBSD 2.0.5 will not probe the device correctly.  It
>doesn't make a difference to DOS whether that flag is turned
>on.

Can you try the latest SNAP-shot floppy?  Its not quite the latest
code, but it is much closer than 2.0.5.

>Matt Rosenberg
>Washington University School of Law
>St. Louis, MO, USA