Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 95 18:42 PDT
From:      pete@puffin.pelican.com (Pete Carah)
To:        tommy@inlab.m.eunet.de
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any coincidence between bug report 688 and the SIG11 problem ?

In article <Pine.BSF.3.91.950923183614.798A-100000@inlab.m.eunet.de> you write:

>I have since I am trying to install FreeBSD on my pentium 90 machine
>(asus P565TP4XE mainboard) some problems. The first time I was installing
>directly from the 2.0.5 CD-ROM I have a problem that is at it's best
>represented by the bug report 688 (Page fault: supervisor write, page not

>OK, I would be glad hearing from you concerning the following questions:

>- Does anyone run an asus P55TP4XE motherboard succesfully with freebsd of
>  *any* kind at this time ?

Yes - 2.0.5R works fine on at least two of these motherboards, both of
which have pipeline cache (though one needed replacing - see below).
It also works fine on an older rev of the same board that doesn't have
the pipeline cache module socket.

I have one with pipeline cache that works fine, running 2.1-snap-950726.

Another with pipeline cache running 2.0.5R failed with the above error
after 4-6 hours of running INN with a T-1 feed (300-400 Mbytes/day).
This second board started forgetting its cmos even while powered up after
a couple of weeks, so we traded it in and all now works fine.

Other questions would be better answered by others.

-- Pete