Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 07:28:25 -0500
From:      Mikel <mikel@upan.org>
To:        Paul Robinson <wigstah@akitanet.co.uk>
Cc:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw fwd to requester's ip

--------------4E265260EC0A3E84013830CB

As a admin for a moderately sized isp, it is nice to be able to capure all of
that information, et ceterra... And there are enough simple methods of doing
so, but unfortunately of the past 10 occurances...I've only receive 1
satifactory notice of termination from the offenders isp...most are sadly colo
facilities that do not seem to take these things seriousl enough.

On a side note, you can run ipfw/divert/stealth in combonation with
tcpwrappers to accomplish any of these tasks. Wether it be recording the time
stamp et ceterra, or altering your ruleset to reroute the scanners scans back
at them...personally as much of a nusaince as it it is I prefer to let them
scan and I still contact the offenders isp and go all through the motions...I
just don't hold my breath any more...;|

Paul Robinson wrote:

> [...]
> which will happily capture full packets that match the patterns you
> describe. You then find out the administrators responsible for the IP
> address you are looking at (whois -h whois.ripe.net XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX in
> Europe, and IIRC it's whois.arin.net for US?), and send to
> abuse@domainname.com...
>
> You see there are several reasons for doing this. First of all
> administrators like me understand our users misbehave, and are of course
> happy to scrape them over the hot coals as a result. Yes it's extra
> workload, but in the same way I'll deal with my users, other admins will
> deal with their users when they continually prod my servers for Back
> Orifice. Also, it can actually signal a compromised server, i.e. it's one
> of the admins servers that has been hacked, and this sort of prompting
> will help them enormously.
>
> There is also the legal implications of what you're suggesting. In the UK
> at least, a probe to a port that is not advertised as being available to
> the public is illegal. In fact, it's the onus of the connector to a host
> to show they are authorised to do so in a given manner. I.e, anybody in
> the UK doing scanning can, theoretically, be prosecuted. If I start firing
> packets back at them, they can prosecute them. It's best I just let the
> packet get logged, and complain to their admins as netiquette suggests.
>
> Also, let's talk about the security implications in terms of
> Denial-of-Service attacks here. I compromise box A, and I don't like you
> who owns box B, so I start sending you 1,000 SYNs/sec to 31337 on box B
> from box A. Not only do I run a good chance of DoS'ing you, because you're
> processing and handling all this in the kernel in a special manner, but I
> also DoS box A. Nice. Logging of these packets alone is mildly risky, as
> theoretically filling up /var could be done by an attacker, but this is
> nowhere near as bad as DoS'ing not only your own box, but somebody elses,
> for which you will be blamed, you'll be the one that gets pulled off the
> network, etc....
>
> In short, yes it can theoretically be done, but you haven't looked hard
> enough at the options available to you to do this, you haven't thought
> about the implications, and when you do, you'll realise this is actually
> quite a bad idea. Please, for your own sake, go and download and install
> snort. It has the disadvantage of having to put the NIC into promiscuous
> mode (which requires bpf devices to be enabled in the kernel and
> MAKEDEV'd), which *slightly* slows the stack down, but otherwise it helps
> you produce hard evidence to complain with in style about these
> morons. :)
>
> Although it would be nice to 'see their faces', you won't because they're
> miles away. What you will see is your box grind as it starts doing all
> this dynamic processing, and lots of e-mail telling you you're a very
> naughty man, and you're no better than the rest of the prats who do

Cheers,
Mikel
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+
| http://www.ocsny.com/~mikel
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+

--------------4E265260EC0A3E84013830CB

begin:vcard
n:King;Mikel
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Optimized Computer Solutions
version:2.1
email;internet:mikel@ocsny.com
title:Procurement Manager
tel;fax:2124638402
tel;home:http://www.upan.org/vizkr
tel;work:2127272100
adr;quoted-printable:;;39 W14th St.=0D=0ASte 203;New York;NY;10011;US
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Mikel King
end:vcard