Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 1997 17:19:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ian Struble <ian@majesticnet.com>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Unfetchable distfiles reminder

OK, I have finally started to payback a little to the ports collection.  And
incase anyone sitting on the sidelines wants to know, it is a rather satisfying
thing to be doing with my idle clock cycles!

I started digging around the unfetchables list and send a few diffs to a few
maintainers and also submitted ports/5366 for net/zircon.  I started looking at
math/blas as well but kind of got stuck a little.  Here is the situation, the
first distsite (netlib.bell-labs.com) now stores the files as a .gz file instead
of .Z.  Normally wouldn't be much of a problem but the other distsite
(ftp.netlib.org) stores the files with out any comression but will compress
files to .Z if requested but will not gzip on the fly.  My question is should we
nuke the bell-labs distsite and add another or is it being left for historical
reasons?

Ian