Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 17:24:33 -0400
From:      Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   allowing pings out from my firewall

Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> * Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com> [000724 13:49] wrote:
> > I have a normal user on my FreeBSD box that needs to run ping and
> > traceroute.  I do NOT want to give this user the ability to su in as
> > root.  What do I need to do so this user can run ping and traceroute?
>
> Ping and traceroute are suid therefore you don't need to be root
> to use them, they automatically grant the appropriate level of
> privledge to perform the operations needed.

I was wrong, I (as root) just tried to ping something and I got the error
message:

ping: sendto: Permission denied

After thinking about this for a moment, I realized that I believe this to
be a firewall issue.  I have the "simply" firewall running on this machine
and I think it is the firewall that is stopping ping from going out.  How
do I modify the firewall to allow pings  and traceroute to get out?

--
Sam Carleton
Please stop by http://www.maineville.net and