Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 06:37:08 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Local CVS repository, the final frontier

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 07:20:10AM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2002-02-23 06:41, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 02:40:33PM +0100, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > Ok..updating src from my local network repository, no problem
> > > But what command do I give to 'cvs' to update the /usr/ports
> > > collection from the network repository (which is updated nightly).
> > > I have spent all morning, thinking and trying and I am damned if
> > > I can get it to work a la cvsupit (i.e. update changed ports).
> > > I realise that ports is not under cvs as such, is there some
> > > magic to get it to just replace older files with newer ones.
> > > Or do I need to write a find script..whatever ?
> >
> > I'm not sure I understand. The ports are under CVS control just as
> > much as any other part of FreeBSD. You say you have a local
> > repository? Why not just cvsup(1) the ports (if you are not already)
> > and just use cvs(1) the same way?
>
> You can add the ports-all collection to the collections that are updated in
> the CVS repository mirror.  Then, after cvsup is finished bringing the
> ports/ tree in your CVS mirror, you can use cvs to update /usr/ports.
>
> 1. To check out a copy of ports under /usr (paying attention not to nuke
>    /usr/ports/distfiles and all the downloaded sources):
>
> 	# cd /usr
> 	# mv ports/distfiles .
> 	# rm -fr ports
> 	# cvs -q -d /home/ncvs checkout ports
> 	# mv distfiles ports
>
> 2. To update the ports collection with CVS after the initial checkout:
>
> 	# cd /usr/ports
> 	# cvs -q up -APd
>
> If you remove some of the directories under /usr/ports (for instance, I
> don't care about /usr/ports/chinese since I don't use any chinese ports)
> you can remove those subdirectories of /usr/ports and only cvs `update' the
> remaining subdirectories:
>
> 	# cd /usr/ports
> 	# cvs -q up -APd *

Thanks to all who helped me out of my own stupidity on this, it is all
working just tickety-boo now. It was the famous case of "testing my own
presumptions" rather than actually questioning them :) I now have a
local repository from which I can make -STABLE updates -CURRENT updates
etc etc. to any machine on the network, which is what I wanted to
achieve. I just run one repository update on one machine once a night.

The next challenge is handling my own local modifications, additions,
experiments.
I am busy reviewing suggestions and the docs on doing that.

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson -- <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>