Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 21:09:53 +0200
From:      Markus Stumpf <maex-freebsd-hackers@Space.Net>
To:        Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>, Mike Hoskins <mike@snafu.adept.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Solution for mail pseudo-users?

I would recommend  qmail  (http://www.qmail.org/).
It has a VERY modular structure, where you e.g. can easily substitue
the "checkpassword" module with a e.g. perl script doing the lookups.
Nothing else needs to be patched/changed and the described scenario can
be accomplished with standard qmail features.
We're running kind of such a setup for about 2 years and are very happy.

There are patches+docs for a complete qmail+mysql integration at
    http://www.softagency.co.jp/mysql/qmail.en.html

There are patches+docs for a complete qmail+ldap integration at
    http://www.nrg4u.com/
LDAP is not that messy :-) LDAP is designed with a lot of read accesses
in mind and will eventually not scale well with a lot of write (change)
accesses.

On Sun, Aug 01, 1999 at 04:08:00AM -0700, Alex Zepeda wrote:
> I just don't see any justification in hacking away at all of your software
> to bypass the passwd database.  What is gained?

If you have 100000+ users you'll run out of UIDs (see recent thread).
Also you'll have to run the script to allow users to change passwords
as "root", which you probably will NOT want to do (same for adding/
deleting/changing users)
Also with 30000+ (maybe even with 10000+) users each rebuild of the
passwd database will become SLOW and you have to take care about locking
and such ... been there, tried it, didn't like it.

	\Maex

--
SpaceNet GmbH             |   http://www.Space.Net/   | Yeah, yo mama dresses
Research & Development    | mailto:maex-sig@Space.Net | you funny and you need