Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 19:03:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jay Nelson <noslenj@swbell.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Guns and freedom [Was: Re: On "intelligent people" and

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Terry Lambert wrote:

[snip]

>Returning to the kick, it is the momentum imparted to the gun
>relative to the inertia of the hand holding it that results in
>the trigger being pulled and causing an unintended-by-the-wielder
>gun discharge.  For this to occur, the gun has to be significantly
>displaced, generally so much so that it can not possibly be pointed
>at the originally threatened person when it discharges.

In this case, the discharge is a "fortune of war" rather than an
accident -- but you're absolutely right -- in that situation, the most
likely reason for the discharge would be your opponent's muscle
reaction to the kick. But by the time the reaction forces the trigger
pull, your opponents grip is dislodged -- which means the muzzle will
rise 2 to 6 inches before the bullet leaves the muzzle.

>The knife, if firmly held, cuts the hell out of your foot, which
>has the aditional negative effect of making it harder to run
>away, even if you succeed in kicking it out of the assailents
>hands.

I think you're making a convincing argument that we should ban knives
instead of guns:)

>> The few times I have been in that situation, here in the States, it
>> was a knife they pulled. I would have preferred they pulled a gun; they
>> would have been easier to disarm with less risk. But, they don't show
>> that in the movies, either.
>
>Agreed.
>
>It's also a fact that most handgun echanges take place at close
>range, without anyone getting hit for an insanely large number
>of rounds fired.  That's isn't very exciting to watch in a
>theater, either, since you are really waiting for Mel Gibson
>to shoot the thugs in a subplot, and then get back onto the
>main story line...

Wouldn't it be nice if real life was more like the movies?

-- Jay