Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 14:00:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: advocacy/13696: FreeBSD logo

The following reply was made to PR advocacy/13696; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To: gthalapp@hotmail.com
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 18:46:12 +0100

 Yow.  Everyone's been taking grumpy pills recently.

 Gene, you sent in this PR;

 > >Number:         13696
 > >Synopsis:       FreeBSD logo
 > Everybody says that FreeBSD is fantastic and rock stable. I found that there is truth in it. But I am not pleased to see a devil's emblem to be used for FreeBSD logo.
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 >
 > >Fix:
 > Change the logo to something professional.

 This, basically, isn't going to happen, as other people have pointed
 out.  The little horned guy ("beastie") in the FreeBSD (and NetBSD,
 OpenBSD, and quite possibly BSDi) logo has a long heritage with the
 BSD operating system.

 You can find a little more information about this at

     http://www.FreeBSD.org/copyright/daemon.html

 which includes quotes, links to earlier pictures, and a company you can
 buy stuffed daemon plushies from.

 In the meantime, don't be surprised if this PR gets closed :-)

  [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
  non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
  the links.
     -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>