Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 18:11:14 +0100 (CET)
From:      Are Bryne <are.bryne@communique.no>
To:        FreeBSD SCSI list <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        are.bryne@communique.no
Subject:   Booting FreeBSD off SCSI w/o SCSI bios

(please keep me cc'd)

Hi,

I've been trying to make a Compaq LTE Elite 4/50cx boot FreeBSD directly
off a scsi disk.

It's got an AIC-6360 in the docking station (SmartStation). There's no
bios for the chip. The LTE Elite itself has an internal ata disk. It's not
really an option to put the root slice on this.

I've looked at several bootloaders: BootEasy, BS-OS, and (a little at)
GRUB.  It seems they all need a SCSI bios to find the scsi disk.

The only viable way to boot it seems, is to use dosboot (fbsdboot.exe)
with the -D option (telling it to use a kernel on the dos disk). I also
tried making it find the kernel on the scsi disk, having loaded the
necessary dos aspi drivers, but to no avail (should this be possible?).

The SCSI disk first has a 512 MB primary FAT partition, then a 1536 MB
FreeBSD partition and at the end, a 1024 MB extended FAT partition. It
also has a BootEasy boot image.

Would anyone know of a simpler/better method of booting?

Thanks in advance.

Are Bryne