Date:      Thu, 07 Aug 1997 11:09:15 -0400
From:      Aaron Hillegass <ahill@classfinder.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   AMD PCNet PCI ethernet card

Greetings, hardware gurus,

I sent this to freebsd-questions two days ago and received no response.
I hope this is not an inappropriate question for this list: I'm having
trouble configuring an AMD PCNet ethernet card.

I have system with a DEC PCI Etherworks card that works perfectly,  and
the Hitachi laptop with an AMD PCNet PCI Ethernet card that I just
bought and can't get to talk to the ethernet.  Both machines are running
FreeBSD 2.2.2.

Looking at the the working machine's kernel config file I noted the
following line:

  device de0

and in the /etc/rc.conf file the following:

  network_interfaces="de0 lo0"
  ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"
  ifconfig_de0="inet 205.215.27.49"

Being a simple-minded guy,  I search the FreeBSD questions and found
that the PCNet ethernet card uses the lnc driver.  Thus I substituted
lnc for de in both files:

  device lnc0

and

  network_interfaces="lnc0 lo0"
  ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"
  ifconfig_lnc0="inet 205.215.27.51"

When I rebuild the kernel and boot the machine,  I get:

  Aug 3 20:28:49 toad /kernel: lnc1 <PCNet/PCI Ethernet adaptor> rev 22
int a irq 9 on pci0:18

Two things strike me as odd: First, it says lnc1 instead of lnc0.
Second,  it doesn't mention its Ethernet address at all.

The ifconfig fails because it can't find lnc0.
So I try to manually ifconfig lnc1:

  # ifconfig lnc1 inet 215.205.27.51
  ifconfig:  interface lnc1 does not exist

In hopes of getting more data points,  I boot the machine -c and remove
the lnc driver.  I get the following:

  Aug 3 20:28:49 toad /kernel: pci0:18:   AMD, device=0x2000,
class=network(ethernet) int a irq 9 [no driver assigned]

Then,  I went back to the man page,  and copied out the synopsis
(changing the irq)

  device lnc0 at isa? port 0x280 net irq 9 drq 0 vector lncintr

Rebuilding the kernel and rebooting gets me:

  Aug 3 20:28:49 toad /kernel: lnc1 <PCNet/PCI Ethernet adaptor> rev 22
int a irq 9 on pci0:18
.
.
.
  Aug 3 20:28:49 toad /kernel: lnc0 not found at 0x280

I hope that you can help me.

Thanks in advance,
Aaron Hillegass