Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 2002 10:52:59 -0500
From:      Albertus Magnus <st_albert@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: once last try

On Monday 23 December 2002 07:35, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> # bsdsys@yahoo.com / 2002-12-23 03:23:36 -0800:
> > OK. I have tried unsuscribing to this mailing list and
> > re-subscribing to it and then sending e-mails to it to
> > test but my e-mails never make it. I know this e-mail
> > will make it to the list but this account is not the
> > one im having problems with. I'm having problems with
> > my POP account. if someone could help me figure out
> > what the problem is i would appreciate it. I dont get
> > any error messages back either when i try to send
> > e-mails to this list from my POP account.
>
>     The freebsd.org MTA is somewhat anal about the properties of the
>     other side of the SMTP connection. The name sent in EHLO/HELO
> must resolve to the address of the host, and its IP address must
> resolve to that name. This is a very successful anti-spam measure. It
> unfortunately also causes some collateral damage.

Roman,

Excuse me for jumping in to this, but I'm also one who is also confused=20
by all the hoops needed to successfully gain the favor of the=20
freebsd.org MTA.  Thanks for your clear and detailed explanation (here=20
and in another post).

But it seems to me that there's more to it than you've described above. =20
For example, ISTR that when I was using Pegasus Mail (Windows) I had to=20
change its settings so as not to put "@localhost" in the message-ID=20
header (or some such thing... I don't remember exactly).

Anyway, as of now, using KDE Kmail, I have tried three different MTA's:=20
two ISP's and sendmail on my own FBSD box connected to the cable modem. =20
In each case they supply (to freebsd.org) the correct hostname which=20
resolves to the correct IP address, and vice versa.  Yet only one gets=20
through.  I'm not sure why... the only errors I get are something like=20
"connection refused" or "service unavailable" or something equally=20
non-specific.

Could it be that freebsd.org checks farther back in the chain than just=20
the MTA that is talking to it?  Or is it something else?

Maybe I should check some of the spam that does get through, and see how=20
they do it ;-)

Regards,
Albert