Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 11:32:30 -0800
From:      Ken Ingram <kingram@ipro.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding Hard Drives - Prepping

When I mkdir /articles and run mount /dev/rwd2s1e /articles I get the error:

'/dev/rwd2s1e on /articles: Block device required'

In order for 'mount /dev/rwd2s1e /articles' to complete properly does MAKEDEV
produce the BLOCK DEVICE /articles? This isn't clear from the man pages.

I have to admit that before I created all this hubub I looked over the man
pages for disklabel,mount,fstab,newfs and anything related without getting a
good idea of what works. It seems to be a trial/error sort of thing. I've been
playing dumb so as not to cause assumptions about what I know, hoping that a
rank newbie attitude would help me see the answer a little more clearly. This
is as opposed to my actual position in knowledge of rank amateur. Fortunately
I'm not screwing up the system disk.

At 06:12 PM 1/9/97 -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
>In message <199701092331.PAA09721@ipro.com> Ken Ingram writes:
>: The problem is I have to search through a few different things much like
>: '92 when folks only had man pages. I literally don't know where to begin.
>: Hence my earlier rant about 'cross referencing'.
>
>man fdisk		To put a BIOS disk label on it.
>man disklabel		To put a FreeBSD disk label on it
>man newfs		To put file systems on the partitions created
>			by disklabel
>
>Disklabel is a horrible interface :-(.
>
>and you just gotta know (or look at the FAQ) that sometimes MAKEDEV is
>needed.
>
>Warner

--Ken
Ken Ingram	kingram@ipro.com   |